Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dealing with Race: Reflection 8


How will you deal with the issue of race as a teacher with your students administrators and colleagues?


As a teacher, it is important to be cautious about the type of word choices you use. reason why word choices are important is because, something little that you comment about could be offensive or a big deal to another student. When talking about race, most students tend to be very uncomfortable; especially when you are the only opposite race in the room. From having this discussion, I believe that I would have to build a personal relationship with each student first. After I have built a bondi with each student, I think we can discuss racism as a group open-mindedly. I understand that not everyone will be comfortable with having this conversation, due to their background, and where they come from. But as a teacher I will make that my responsibility to get everyone to a place where we can open up together. I would even set up conversations where we could share negative racism experiences. This will build a close bond between the students and I. This could help me build an enviornement of trust the classroom. That will then lead to an open discussion as well. I know this conflict has been present for many years, and this topic needs to be talked about, regardless if anyone believes differently.
With administrators, it should not even a question to wonder about; rather if it is hard to bring up a conversation about race. Since we all live in the same world, everyone knows racism is and has been a problem for a very long time. As I teacher, it is important to discuss all the negative things that are going on with administrators. When that is discussed, there needs to be a plan made or an agreement between administration and staff on how to talk to your students about it. Doing it this way, you won’t have to be afraid of a student telling on you. This avoids trouble in so many different ways. Also, if the whole school talks about it, the students will bring their attention on the topic and respond.
In my opinion, talking to the colleagues about race is as important as discussing it with the administrators. When talking to other teachers, everyone will not agree on how to present this discussion to students. Agreeing and disagreeing is the whole point of the meeting. Bringing together different mindsets and views on this topic can bring bright ideas to the table. Using the four engagement hooks could also be a useful tool to discuss when brainstorming on ideas. With colleagues being involved, it could also be like a team project to work on as a unit.
The process of educating students about racism will never be easy, or the most comfortable thing to do. Because the problem is present now, its important for every student to be still aware and knowledgeable about it. Also, when i see racism going on, I will make it my job to put a stop to it. Racism needs to be a topic as much as bullying. In fact, racism is very much involved in bullying. So discussing the roots of all the negativity can bring a solution. It is obvious it can’t be done overnight, but I will be sure that the staff and I  just take one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment