Wednesday, June 26, 2013

In- Class Presentation: Reflection 4


In- Class Lesson Presentation


When I taught my In-Class lesson, i was at KCKCC in a typical student classroom. The students my group and I were teaching was the other members from the Teaching Academy program. Our job was to educate the teaching academy member about a specific too, on how to teach a class and be able to keep them engaged.
My lesson topic was “ The Four Engagement Hooks”. This is self explanatory right? Well just in case your mind is still wondering, it is four different things that can get your students to want to pay attention. The objective in our lesson was to teach my peers the different types of tools to use to teach; so their future classes can not only have fun, but to also comprehend the lesson being presented.
My Four Engagement Hooks were Need: A useful way of getting and keeping the brain’s attention. Novelty: Pays attention to things that are NEW or different. Meaning: The closer a teacher can get the instruction to real world, the more memorable it becomes. Emotion: Anything that happened in the world or in your personal life that was filled with emotion tends to be unforgettable.
My students were interested in what i was teaching because i clearly stated the topic that was going to be taught. My group was sure to show enthusiasm and give examples based off of real world activities. We were sure to give the lesson this way to also give an example of one of the engagement hooks; so we could challenge the students to a mini quiz at the end. We also did it to be sure to give a  brief example on what we mean. The activities that I had the students perform to learn the lesson, was have them try to act out a way of good and bad examples of trying to get the class engaged. My group chose this because we wanted the class to give a perspective on how hard it was to control a class to teach them a single lesson.  We also wanted the students to  figure out their favorite engagement hook: which one did they think was the best for them?
The lesson I would choose in the future to improve is  NOT change the lesson. I liked the way our lesson was taught. I felt like I used all four tools to teach the class about each hook. This was good I thought, because it gave the students an example of what the purpose of each tool was for. We know that their are many classroom techniques such as Color & Lighting; Aromas and Scent; Accentuating the Positive; Music and Sound; Strategic points to manage a healthy classroom. But i only needed a few.

I used color and Lighting, I was sure that natural lighting was spread throughout the whole classroom. From the other students lessons, i knew that humans learn better with natural lights and this tended to make people   brainstorm and comprehend  things better. Also, Accentuating the Positive; meaning to make sure my class is given “cool points” or appreciation for cooperating and actually putting in effort during the lesson. Due to overlooking the different psychological stages, and being a high school student; Everyone loves to be rewarded and recognized for effort or getting positive feedback. So when asking the Students questions, even if they didn’t get it right, i still showed positivity.
I knew what my class is capable of, so we didn’t use music. My group and the students themselves, knew they wouldn’t be able to handle the freedom of music playing. Besides, this wasn’t necessary, due to the amount of time we had to present. Enthusiasm was the key overall on the lesson. I know, from life experiences, if you have a boring teacher you will have a boring, uncooperative class. Nobody will listen to you. So the important characteristics, to have when teaching was very well expressed throughout the whole lesson.
Management Techniques I would do differently while teaching the class was interacting more with the students rather than just teaching the lesson and getting it over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment