Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lesson In Class: Reflection 5


Lesson In Class

    While teaching my lesson, my objective for the students was to make them realize how wrong bullying was; and how it affects the people around them. Hopefully, afterwards they would walk out the classroom, not wanting to bully anymore. Teaching the students with the Madeline Hunter Lesson Plan model wasn’t hard because the teacher already made herself be the responsibility to accentuate the positive, provide natural lighting, and soft music. The only thing I had to bring to the table was the four engagement hooks.
At the beginning of the lesson, I was sure to introduce myself first and inform the students as to why I was there and what I would be teaching. Even though I was someone new to the class, getting the students’ attention was not a problem. Students already knew bullying had been a major problem in the school environment, or anywhere, really. To connect them to my lesson, I asked each student a bullying situation they’ve witnessed or been involved in. Then, I had them explain if they thought it was right or wrong, and why. None of the students said it was a good thing, so this made the lesson a lot easier to teach.
To prepare the students for what they were about to learn, the leading teacher and I had them all get out their annotation cards to help them answer questions, and a vocabulary worksheet to help guide them as we read the article together as a class. Some of the comprehension activities i had them do as we read along is, since the article was slightly challenging; after each paragraph I had them partner up and discuss what the paragraph was about. I then made them come up with a one sentence statement on what the paragraph was trying to tell us. Each group shared their statement, we was sure to make sure everyone understood before we moved on. This activity was also an assess to make sure everyone did understand.
For the future I would do some things slightly differently. On my behalf, something i didn’t look into or think about was look at the different reading levels. Based on us not even being able to get past the third paragraph, made me realize that the article that we were reading was a little more challenging than anybody anticipated. The big vocabulary words scared the students and made them not want to continue reading; this also made them lose interest in my lesson. For the future if I was to make them read a challenged article, i would provide a vocabulary list on the words they would most likely not understand. Or I would just be sure to give the students an article that was more on their reading level. Another thing i would change, was make us all have more class discussion on their beliefs. Students know it all, so discussing the conflict could help me and other adults figure out the root of why bullying even occurs.
The management techniques played a big part in the classroom. Like, already mentioned the leading teacher used most of the techniques while assisting my lesson. My job was the four engagement hooks, to obviously get them to get engaged into the lesson and the objective. To keep positive energy in the classroom, I also helped accentuate the positive. When the students were asked questions during pauses; most students would get the answers wrong continuously. So, i made sure that they knew this was a challenging article, and they were getting close to the right answer. I knew by keeping positive air in the room, the students would be more motivated to get the answer right; or at least try to put in more effort. Management techniques i would do next time, to encourage the student is reward them with actual small prize like candy. Nobody turns down a prize for any reason. I believe doing this, would keep the students awake and be more motivated to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment